The ‘Miss Inner Beauty’ pageant is a fun teaching acitivity to explore character and virtues such as the Fruit of the Spirit:
“…the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.” Galatians 5:22-23
Teams are given the task of introducing a candidate for the title of ‘Miss Inner Beauty’, a mock-pageant where it’s what’s on the inside that counts. Allow an hour for this activity.
You could use this activity to lead into a code-of-behaviour brainstorming activity, a discussion about behaviour in the group, the topic of ‘Character vs. Looks’, or Bible Studies on the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5); the Beatitudes (Matthew 5); or the list of virtues in Colossians 3: 12-17 or Philippians 4.
Form your group into 3-5 teams, each made up of 4-6 members.
Explain that their team challenge is to introduce a candidate for the title of Miss Inner Beauty, and the team tasks outlined below. Encourage them to share the roles among the team: different people should be the model, interviewer, wardrobe, musician and researcher if possible.
Provide each team with paper, felts and other artistic supplies for making a sash and dressing up their Miss Inner Beauty candidates, and give them 25 minutes to complete their tasks.
While there is an underlying seriousness to this activity – it is meant to be humorous – so encourage them to have fun with it!
You may find it helpful to give each team a handout which outlines each of the following tasks – see an example of a team handout here.
- Choose a biblical virtue as your ‘country’ (an inner quality like ‘humility’ or ‘wisdom’ or one of the Fruits of the Spirit or the Beatitudes).
- Select roles for each member of your team.
- The person who will be the CANDIDATE (e.g. Miss Patience): They will get to do a catwalk strut and be interviewed about their ‘country’ (i.e. virtue, beatitude, fruit of the Spirit) while displaying that quality throughout their time ‘on stage’.
- MAKE-UP / WARDROBE: Make a decorative, colourful sash with e.g. ‘Miss Gentleness’ on it. Dress up your model in any other way you see fit.
- INTERVIEWER: Choose an interviewer who will be asking the model three questions.
- RESEARCHER: Come up with three interview questions that will enable your model to explain:
- What your Virtue/Fruit is,
- How your Virtue/Fruit can make the world a better place,
- Why you need the help of God, Jesus or the Holy Spirit to put your Virtue/Fruit into practice
- A real-life situation where your Virtue/Fruit can be put into practice
- MUSIC: Come up with a song to sing or tune to play while your model struts the catwalk (for 20-30 seconds)
Once ready, your Youth Leader (or appointed MC for the activity) will invite each team up in turns. The team Interviewer comes to the front. Their model, complete with sash, will strut from the back to the front of the room, to their team song. Once there, their Interviewer will ask their three questions. The model will answer. The interviewer will then thank the model, (who will take a bow), and the audience, and both will leave the stage (to the same team song/tune). The MC will then invite the next team up.
Have a judging panel of youth or leaders who were not otherwise in a TEAM (or invite your Vicar and spouse as guest judges!). Runners Up and Team Winner prizes optional! You can use this printable Judges Score Card.
Close with a reading of 1 Peter 3:3-4 and 1 Samuel 16:7 – how God looks at the heart and how the Holy Spirit gives us this inner beauty.