Organise a screening of the clip of Arwen’s Flight to the Ford in The Fellowship of the Ring (DVD Chapter 17 ) or from YouTube: Flight to the Ford and Give up the Halfling, She-Elf! (this 2nd clip gives you Arwen’s prayer for Frodo).
Invite the young people to watch the clip and note ways in which Arwen is Christ-like. Look for words and actions that might be things Jesus would say or do.
Let them share what they spotted. (Use the list below to cover anything overlooked.)
Invite young people to write down things they would like Jesus to say to them or for Jesus to do for them.
Share and/or offer these in prayer.
Her Words (things Jesus might say):
- “Hear my voice”
- “Come back to the light”
- “We must get him to my father’s house.”
- “the power of my peoples place will protect him.” – (a healing place)
- “I do not fear them.”
- Prays for Frodo: “What grace given me, let it pass to him. Let him be spared. Save him.”
Her Actions (things Jesus might do)
- Rescued Frodo from evil, putting herself in danger.
- She outran the enemy.
- Compassion – tears for Frodo (John 11:35, Matt 9:36)
- Knew Frodo by name (John 10: 3, 14-15)
- Used supernatural power – making the waters rise (Jesus calmed a storm)
- Risked her own life to rescue Frodo. Humbled herself to serve (Mark 10:45).
- Sacrificed immortality to be with who she loved (Aragon)
- Opening scene she appeared almost divine (light etc…), then suddenly she seemed very “human” (elfin!?)