Mark #5: Strive to safeguard the integrity of creation and sustain and renew the life of the earth
We are to care for everything that God has made because He has entrusted it to us. We also see our creator God revealed in it. Your projects for this Mark will give you opportunities to worship your Creator in His awesome creation. You’ll also grow in your awareness of environmental issues and take steps to better care for the world that God has given us.
By helping to plant trees today, we served others.
By lightening the job load of the workers, we helped to keep God’s creation beautiful and flourishing.
By serving the staff, we were able to serve the community.
By giving back to the community, we are giving to God and pleasing him.
For what we give to others, we will be rewarded in the end.
– Reflections from Waiapu youth on their caring for creation experiences
Caring for Creation Resources
Here are some resources and ideas to help you and your mentor understand this mark and come up with your projects. Keep checking in – we will be adding more soon!
- Creation Calls – a short message with discussion and media exploring the wonders of God’s creation
- Creator’s Walk – go on an outdoor adventure to encounter God and be inspired by His creation
- Climate Change Solutions Quiz – the most effective ways to curb climate change might surprise you
- Ecological Footprint Calculator – discover how many planets we would need if everybody lived like you
- Carbon Fast – challenge yourself to reduce the things we do which damage God’s Creation and take small steps towrards a more sustainable world
- Bird Survey – Birds are important indicators of the health of New Zealand’s environment. Find out more about the NZ Garden Bird Survey survey and how to take part
- St Francis of Assisi – discover more about the legendary St Francis who led the way in sharing the message of caring for creation
- Keep New Zealand Beautiful – loads of ways to get involved with cleaning up beaches, picking up litter, removing graffiti, planting trees and more
- Green Anglicans – environmental news and resources from the Anglican Church in South Africa
- Arocha – an international Christian organization engaging communities in nature conservation
- Department of Conservation – conservation activities, places to go, things to do, and loads of resources and ways to get involved
- Forest and Bird – ways to get involved with being a voice for nature in Aotearoa/New Zealand
St Francis Award
“The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.” Psalm 19:1 (NIV)