A fun and engaging way to cover many basic safety issues with your youth leadership team. Include it in a full safety training session or just spend 20 minutes on it over the next few leaders meetings.
How to use this video:
- Play the video, asking leaders to spot the safety issues within (there are 13).
- Have cards with everyone’s name on and select one at random
- The person whose name is drawn has a turn naming one issue they spotted in the video.
- Give them a chance to explain what they know about it.
- Then briefly add anything important as needed. Prepare by reading up on that issue from your Diocesan safety manual beforehand.
- Then draw another card and continue as above. But if anyone names an issue already discussed – burn them!
- Using cards is an educational tool that keeps the ‘class’ engaged and listening.
- If you are using this as part of a full-blown workshop, take as much time as you need. If it’s part of a regular leaders meeting, restrict this segment to 20-25 minutes and use it over several meetings till all 13 issues have been covered.
- The 13 issues are: police checks, alcohol and other drugs, parental consent, leader/youth relationships, First Aid, Diocesan Safety Code, ratios, being alone with young people/personal safety, car issues (WOF, license etc…), R.A.M.s, appropriate touch, smoking, abuse.
- The following Diocesan Safety Resources are available online. Please contact your diocese for further resources: