Questions you can use in a mentoring relationship, where the focus is on leadership and/or ministry development.
- What is the strength of your ministry at the moment? Where would you like to see growth?
- How are you keeping God’s purposes at No.1?
- How has your pastoral love and concern for young people shown itself recently?
- Tell me about a recent opportunity you’ve taken to teach others about Christ?
- Do you have opportunities to show concern for those on the margins of your community?
- What is your big picture goal for your ministry?
- What has been the most satisfying ministry experience in the last month? (i.e. when did you last feel “That went well!”)
- In what ways are you working outside your area of gifting/strengths? (When did you last feel “This is just not me!”) Are you able to delegate (or train) someone else in this area?
- What are your current training needs (where do you sense a gap in your ministry)?
- Tell me about a situation where you showed real strength of character.
- Do any of the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5) present a particular challenge for you?
- Tell me about a situation where someone or something pushed your buttons or struck a raw nerve.
- What is your greatest challenge/struggle?How can you meet it/move forward?
- How heavily do the expectations of others weigh on you?
- Where are you meeting opposition?
- How does that feel?
- How can you positively manage this?
- How is your time management/goal-setting/prioritising?
- How do you manage the unrealistic demands of ministry (e.g. that there’s always more you can do)?
- What sustains you?
- How are things with you and God? How have you been nurturing that relationship?
- What is your most effective way to unwind/process tension? Does it need improving?
- Are you regularly allowing time for reflection/visioning planning (big picture stuff)?
- In what ways are you managing your need for:
- Intellectual stimulation?
What leadership development goal are you working toward (or would like to set for yourself)?
Developed by Phil Trotter with reference to John Mallison, ‘Mentoring to Develop Disciples & Leaders’
You can download a PDF version of this training resource here. Feel free to print and hand out these notes to your youth leaders.